Thursday 10 May 2012

“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.”

Having loved Veronica Roth's debut novel Divergent, I was super psyched to get my hands on the sequel Insurgent.  One of the things that I really love about this series is that it's not afraid to 'go there' (I can't think of a better way to describe it!)  This series deals with a lot of violence and Roth explores these themes in a realistic yet not to graphic manner, which is really important in capturing the essence of the characters in the Dauntless Faction as well as the other Factions and how they interact together.

It took me longer to get into Insurgent then Divergent.  With the first book, I dived right in and didn't come up for air until I was done reading.  With the sequel, I found that there were ups and down.  By the time I had finished I was demanding the next book (oh cliffhanger endings, how I love / hate you!) but alas, I, like the rest of the world, will have to wait.  You might be asking, why such issues with this book? Why couldn't you get as excited right away like you did with Divergent?  And the answer is this: things were getting a bit too teen melodramatic for me...By this I mean I was actually mentally preparing myself for scenes right out of the Twilight series (minus the vampires), complete with googly eyes and longing looks.  But oh happy day, I worried over nothing!  Things righted themselves just when they needed to and I wasn't left with a sad face, shaking my head.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this series wraps up!  It's been a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...