Tuesday 14 August 2012

“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”

I have always been interested in stories of the Trojan War (despite the fact that I have yet to make it through The Iliad and The Odyssey...one day!).  I had already planned on picking up Madeline Miller's novel The Song of Achilles when it won the prestigious Orange Prize.  Talk about extra motivation!

What a wonderful novel.  Beautifully written and it succeeds in creating a new and interesting way of telling an age old tale.  The protagonist is not the hero Achilles, but instead Patroclus, a character that appeared in the original story, played a vital role in the downfall of Achilles, but did not get a lot of 'screen time'.  This is not only a story of war but also one of love and the role it plays in one of the greatest stories ever told.  An amazing debut novel and definitely an author to watch.

“Name one hero who was happy."
I considered. Heracles went mad and killed his family; Theseus lost his bride and father; Jason's children and new wife were murdered by his old; Bellerophon killed the Chimera but was crippled by the fall from Pegasus' back.
"You can't." He was sitting up now, leaning forward.
"I can't."
"I know. They never let you be famous AND happy." He lifted an eyebrow. "I'll tell you a secret."
"Tell me." I loved it when he was like this.
"I'm going to be the first." He took my palm and held it to his. "Swear it."
"Why me?"
"Because you're the reason. Swear it."
"I swear it," I said, lost in the high color of his cheeks, the flame in his eyes.
"I swear it," he echoed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...