Monday 28 October 2013

Elementary, My Dear Stoker: Colleen Gleason's THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB

I got a copy of The Clockwork Scarab at the recent Raincoast Teen Reads Winter Preview.  It is one that I had been eyeing out for awhile now so I was really excited to get a copy.  I just loved the premise of the story:

Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes never meant to get into the family business. But when you’re the sister of Bram and the niece of Sherlock, vampire hunting and mystery solving are in your blood. And when two society girls go missing, there’s no one more qualified to investigate.

Now fierce Evaline and logical Mina must resolve their rivalry, navigate the advances of not just one but three mysterious gentlemen, and solve murder with only one clue: a strange Egyptian scarab. The stakes are high. If Stoker and Holmes don’t unravel why the belles of London society are in such danger, they’ll become the next victims


First of all, I loved Dracula and I've enjoyed every Arthur Conan Doyle story that I've read so you can see why this book really peaked my interest. Author Colleen Gleason did a great job in capturing the essence of the works of Bram Stoker and Doyle; you really felt that the characters and situations she created could have appeared in either one of their works.  I also really loved what strong and interesting characters Evaline and Mina were!  This is being called the first in the Stoker & Holmes series so I really hope that there will be more novels capturing the adventures of these two!  Lots of fun, full of mystery, adventure, and romance, this is a great read for teen fiction fans!


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely recommending this to my daughter (the precocious 12 year old not the conservative 14 year old). Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun book! I hope she likes it!

    ReplyDelete

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...