Thursday 7 June 2012

Recent Reads

I haven't posted in awhile! Life has been to busy apparently! However, no matter how busy I am, I always have time to read a good book and I have read some excellent books lately!  Here's are several that I have read in the last month that I think you should know about:

Daring to Dream by Nora Roberts
The first book in her Dream Trilogy, it tells the story of Margo, the wild child who left home at a young age and now returns to the small town she grew up in to try to get her life back together.  Being a Nora Roberts novel, there is naturally a romantic element.  A definite beach read.

Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster
Love Love Love Jen Lancaster! Her most recent memoir chronicles, as she eloquently puts it, how "one reluctant adult attempts to unarrest her arrested development; or, why it's never to late for her dumb ass to learn why Froot Loops are not for dinner."  Not my favourite of her's (that would be "Bright Lights, Big Ass") but still a very fun read.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
The hot memoir of the summer (so far), this is a very very funny, and at times horrific, read.  I enjoyed the first half the most where Lawson shared stories of growing up with a taxidermist for a dad.  A few of her stories had me howling with laughter and causing my husband concern about my sanity.  Loved it.

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
Such a beautifully written and incredibly moving novel.  This tells the story of 5 incredible  women in 70 CE.  During this time, nine hundred Jews held out for months against armies of Romans on a mountain in the Judean desert, Masada.  According to the ancient historian Josephus, two women and five children survived.  This is Hoffman's telling of this story and it is just fabulous.  A great read for the summer.

A Stopover in Venice by Kathryn Walker
I really liked this book because I a) Love Venice, and b) love art history, especially the Renaissance period.  If you are thinking, :hmm that sounds like me!" then you should pick this one up! 

Goddess of Legend
Warrior Rising
Both by P.C. Cast
These are two books in Cast's Goddess Summoning Series.  One of my favourite fun, fast, and sexy series! Cast puts a really fun spin on ancient myths and the Greek gods, these two dealing with the Trojan War and the legend of King Arthur and Camelot.  Other books in the series include:

Goddess of the Sea
Goddess of Spring
Goddess of Light
Goddess of the Rose
Goddess of Love

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer
Reading Georgette Heyer is always a delight.  This one was lots of fun!  This tells the story of Sir Richard Wyndham who finds himself running away from a potential marriage with a beautiful young fugitive, who he finds climbing from her window by knotted sheets, who is also looking to escape a marriage of her own.

The Council of Mirrors (Sisters Grimm #9) by Micheal Buckly
The final book in the amazing young reader series, The Sisters Grimm.  I love this series and always recommend it to younger readers.  Lots of fun, great characters, well written, and full of fun illustrations.  This was a great finish to a great series.







No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...