Thursday 11 October 2012

The Happiest Place On Earth (For Book Lovers)

I was recently down in Portland visiting my sister-in-law and was able to visit one of my favourite places in the world...Powell's City of Books.  This is like Disneyland for book crazed adults with its floor to ceiling bookshelves taking up an entire city block.  Everytime I get so excited I almost need paper bag assisted breathing; it's that fantastic.  I have learned after my many visist that it is just to overwhelming to go into Powell's without some sort of plan or strategie.  The first few visits consisted of me wandering up aisle after aisle for hours on end and somehow accumulating more baskets of books then I could carry (I started sliding them down the aisles with my foot), much to my husband's chagrin as well as the already full bookcases in our homes.  This time I was smart and developed a list of specific books I wanted to look for as well as certain sections I wanted to browse.  We got out of the store after only a measly 2 hours and with only a little over $100 spent.  A personal best if I do say so myself.  Here's what I got:

The Cater Street Hangman (Book 1 of the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt Series)
The Face of a Stranger (Book 1 of the William Monk Series)
Both by Anne Perry

I had heard that both Anne Perry's Victorian mystery series were excellent not only as mysteries but as novels depicting life during the Victorian Ages, especially dealing with gender and class issues.  I have so far read The Cater Street Hangman and really enjoyed it.  This novel introduces us to Thomas Pitt and when he first meets Charlotte before they are married.  They have great chemistry as a couple and I look forward to reading about more of their adventures in later books.

Cleopatra by Stacey Schiff

Ever since this biography came out I have been wanting to read it.  It sounds so interesting and I really enjoy historical bios based on famous women.  I always seem to need more time reading non-fiction so I don't often get them out of the library since I always need more time then the alot 2-3 weeks.  I'm looking forward to this one!

Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, Book 3) by Jules Watson

I read the first two books in the Dalriada Trilogy (The White Mare and The Dawn Stag) some time ago and really enjoyed this series set in Roman Britain.  I had heard there was a third book but could never seem to find it anywhere.  It will be nice to be able to finish this epic story.

I Was Told There Would Be Cake By Sloane Crosley

I have been looking for a book of comedic essays that could hold a candle to the wonderful Jenn Lancaster and this was one of the authors that was recommend to me.  I've read a few essays and so far so good! Though not as laugh out loud funny as Lancaster, Crosley has a subtlety to her that I find delightfully amusing. 

The Book of Mordred by Vivian Van Velde

  A coworker recommended this to me and being a fan of Arthurian Legend, I decided to pick it up.  I'm interested in the idea that the story is from Mordred (a usual villain) point of view so we shall have to see how this one is.

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbour and Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

I have never read anything by Lisa Kleypas, however she sounds like my cup of tea.  I grabbed the first two novels in her Friday Harbour series and am looking forward to curling up with them closer to the Holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...