Thursday 11 October 2012

Get Your Spook On!

In honour of Halloween, I decided to make a list of recommendations for the upcoming spooky season.  If you are looking for something scary or just plain fun, check out some of these books!

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

"After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . ."


A great story for both young and old by master storyteller Neil Gaiman. 

Dracula by Bram Stoker

An oldie and a goody for a reason! Written in entirely in letters and diary entries, the classic vampire story is a must read, especially for those of you who think you know all about vampires (hint: they don't sparkle)


Relic by Douglas Preston 
and Lincoln Child

This book scared the hell out of me the first time I read it and has continued to do so on my multiple rereads.  Definitely will make you nervous to go into a museum after hours!

 
The Passage by Justin Cronin
 
So scary I haven't even been able to finish it! If you want to be scared for a weekend then this is a must read! Have had so many recommendations from friends and coworkers that I know I'm going to have to tough it out and finish it.  I'll just have to make sure I leave all the lights on in the house while doing so... 


Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...