Monday 19 November 2012

Raise a Glass to Graphic Novels

I found this article on the Chapters / Indigo Blog really interesting and thought I would share it.  One of the editors discusses how their list "The Best Books of 2012" was chosen and why certain titles made the cut or did not.  I'm especially interested in the following blurb:

"We as a group weren’t all on the same page about the titles either – there were several heated discussions about the inclusion of some of them (I’m looking at you, Batman), and the exclusion of others. Obviously, most of our Indigo Spotlight titles are there (not all), but some titles that were pitched for Spotlight unsuccessfully did make the cut here.
But back to Scott Snyder’s Batman: The Court of Owls. Yes, it’s there. Thank you to those of you who love its inclusion, and apologies to those of you who question it. Again, I’m the guy who nominated it – and I got some grief when I did.  Truth of the matter is that I happen to think Scott Snyder is the best thing to happen to Batman since Christopher Nolan."
 (To read the rest of the article, go here. )

I love that a graphic novel made the cut and I find it fascinating that there was apparent controversy to its inclusion.  Graphic novels are still the underdog in the literary world and it makes me wonder what it's going to take for them to start getting the credit they deserve.  There are some AMAZING graphic novels out there; in fact, when Time Magazine did their list of "All Time 100 Novels" they included 10 graphic novels.  For anyone who has ever read any of them, you know that they are very worthy.

A really interesting literary issue to watch in the coming years!  I work in a book store and everyday I see more and more people (both kids and adults) buying graphic novels and, as I mentioned earlier, there are some really good ones out there! The stories are great, the art is beautiful, and they often take just as much time and energy to read as a good novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...