Wednesday 21 November 2012

Great Graphic Novels

After my post on graphic novels yesterday, I thought it would be fun to recommend some of my favourites!  There are a number of graphic novels that I'm wanting to read so hopefully this list will continue to grow!

1) Fables and Jack of Fables
Both by Bill Willingham

Both great series but I would recommend reading Fables first since Jack of Fables is a continuation / spinoff.  My favourite graphic novel series out there, my husband and I are always excited when a new comic comes out!

2) Archie: The Married Life
Who doesn't love Archie?!
My Review

3) Maus
By Art Spiegelman
My Review

A stunning series by a fantastic writer and artist!  A story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father's story and history itself.
  
4) Hark! A Vagrant
By Kate Beaton
My Review 

Love love Kate Beaton!  

5) Smile
By Raina Telgemeier

I had the opportunity to meet Raina a few years ago and she is lovely! Her debut graphic novel is wonderful and definitely a great read for anyone who has ever had braces (not a requirement to read though!)

6) Bone
By Jeff Smith

All 9 comics in the series are wonderful! A great adventure story for readers of all ages!

7) Scott Pilgrim
By Bryan Lee O'Malley

"Scott Pilgrim's life is totally sweet. He's 23 years old, he's in a rockband, he's "between jobs", and he's dating a cute high school girl. Nothing could possibly go wrong, unless a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, rollerblading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. Will Scott's awesome life get turned upside-down? Will he have to face Ramona's seven evil ex-boyfriends in battle? The short answer is yes."

8) Castle Waiting 
By Linda Medley

The Story of an isolated, abandoned castle, and the eccentric inhabitants who bring it back to life.  Lots of fun!

9) The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel
By Diana Gabaldon, Hoang Nguyen

My favourtie novelists first graphic novel! Outlander from Jamie's perspective!

10) Marvel 1602
By Neil Gaiman

"All's not well in the Marvel Universe in the year 1602 as strange storms are brewing and strange new powers are emerging. Spider-Man, the X-Men, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Dr. Doom, Black Widow, Captain America, and more appear in the waning days of the reign of Queen Elizabeth."  
  
Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...