Monday 27 May 2013

This Calls for a GRAB BAG!


So many books, not enough time to blog about all them! Here's a handful of mini-reviews of book's I've read recently!

How To Be A Woman
by Caitlin Moran

Such an amazing book! I was laughing so hard I was doing my 'witch cackle' (as my husband calls it).  You will want to become best friends with Moran.  I don't think I've ever read a book with such insight into what it is like to be a woman.  If you enjoy comedic memoirs then this is the book for you!


Where'd You Go, Bernadette
by Maria Semple

This is the BEST book I have read so far this year! I read it over a weekend and am already wanting to pick it up again for a second read.  Funny, charming, and relatable, Maria Semple knocks it out of the park with this novel! It's nominated for the Woman's Prize for Fiction (formerly known as the Orange Prize) and very deserving!  But don't just take my word for it; take Jonathan Franzen's:
"I tore through this book with heedless pleasure."—Jonathan Franzen, author of Freedom

Hex Hall / Demonglass / Spell Bound
by Rachel Hawkins

Love, Love, Love this series! Another one I plowed through over a weekend since I couldn't put it down!  Sophie Mercer is a great heroine and you are continually rooting for her.  Chock full of great characters (such a pink loving vampire / best friend and a very cute love interest), sassy dialogue, and magic!  A great teen series!




This is What Happy Looks Like
by Jennifer E. Smith

Every wonder what it is like to fall in love with a movie star?  Read this contemporary teen romance and find out!

Splintered
by A.G. Howard

Lots of fun for fans of Alice in Wonderland!

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own


Thousand Words 
by Jennifer Brown

For fans of Ellen Hopkins, this novel on teen sexting is very well done and definitely very relevant.

The Truth About Forever
by Sarah Dessen

My first and definitely not my last Sarah Dessen novel! She really is as good as people say; if you love contemporary teen fiction then you MUST read Dessen.  The Truth About Forever was wonderful and left me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...