Friday 11 November 2011

“If my life wasn't funny it would just be true, and that is unacceptable.”

I love love love Carrie Fisher; and this is not just because I'm a huge 'Star Wars' fan.  I knew that she was not only an actress but also an author, however I didn't get the opportunity to read one of her books until 2008.  I was at a local bookstore and I came across her recently published memoir, Wishful Drinking.  Now you tell me, if you saw this cover, wouldn't you want to pick this up to read??

Wishful Drinking was a truly amazing book.  Not only is it one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read, it is also one of the few non-fiction books I have read several times.  When people ask me why I had such a strong and positive reaction to Wishful Drinking, the one thing that pops to mind is this: I simply love how open and honest she is about her inner crazy ( As Fisher puts it, “I feel I'm very sane about how crazy I am.”)  She is so candid about everything from her family, friends, relationships, career, and her own personal issues.  I simply loved it!

Fisher's second memoir, Shockaholic, is wonderful.  This time around, she focuses on topics such as her recent extreme weight loss, going on a double date with Senator Chris Dodd and Edward Kennedy,  and her relationships with the King of Pop, Micheal Jackson; her stepfather, Harry Karl; and her father, Eddie Fisher.  Her writing is funny, honest, and addicting.  This is definetly another memoir I will be rereading sometime soon!

Books by Carrie Fisher:
  1. Postcards From the Edge (1987)
  2. Surrender the Pink (1990)
  3. Delusions of Grandma (1994)
  4. The Best Awful (2003)
  5. Wishful Drinking (2008)
  6. Shockaholic (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...