Wednesday 11 April 2012

Reading Roundup!

Clearly I have fallen behind on updating! Having recently gotten 2 adorable kittens, I have found myself very easily distracted!

Here is the rundown on recent reads:

The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak
The first in a trilogy about Catherine the Great, this novel covers Catherine's arrival in Russia and her eventual taking of the throne.  Really well written novel about a very interesting period of time and a fascinating woman!  I really liked how Stachniak told the story form the perspective of Varvara, a maid turned spy in the palace.  A really excellent read!

Maus I + II by Art Spiegelman
Moving, funny, shocking, wonderful....just a few words to describe Spiegelman's Pulitzer Prize winning masterpiece. The graphic novel style is perfect in telling us the two joining stories of Spiegelman's relationship with his father in recent times and his father's story as a Jew during the Holocaust.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
My second novel by Willis and her second in her Oxford Time Travel novels.  This one took me a little longer to get into (I found that it started much slower than The Doomsday Book) but I also really liked this book.  Set in Victoria England and involving the misadventures of two time traveling historians, a mischievous cat, and a whole slew of well written character.  I'm excited to read more by her!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I have heard lots about Green and what an amazing author he is so I decided to read is latest novel.  Wow, this guy is good! I don't think I have ever read teen based dialogue that I actually find believable and not just annoying!  This book was an emotional roller coaster! I laughed, I cried, I felt it all!  Definitely worth a read and this has convinced me to pick up his earlier novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...