Wednesday 1 July 2015

Reading Roundup

What have I been reading lately?  Glad you asked!

Return to Augie Hobble by Lane Smith
Funny, touching, and as expected, wonderfully illustrated! Lane Smith hits it out of the park with his debut novel.  If you liked Wonder by R.J. Palacio then give this a read!

Pennyroyal Academy by M.A Larson
A fun 9-12 read set in the Grimm's Fairy Tale world.  Pennyroyal Princesses don't need saving, they save themselves!  Reese Witherspoon is apparently in talks to adapt this into a film.

Ms. Marvel Volume 1 by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona 
I normally don't read superhero comics but I had heard such good things about this one and it delivered.  Well written, fun, and important.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
While I enjoyed parts of this, I found as a whole it fell a bit flat for me.  It took about 200 pages for me to really get involved in the story and then I found myself still waiting for...something... by the time I finished the last page.  

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I really liked the writing style of this one.  Some of the lines were so beautiful I had to stop a few times just to take in what I was reading.  While I preferred Noah's narration, I loved that I got to hear Jude's voice as well.  Just lovely.


*Many thanks to Simon & Schuster for the reading copy of Luckiest Girl Alive, and to RAI for the ARC of Return to Augie Hobble!



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...