Thursday 23 July 2015

Reading Roundup

As per usual, I've been reading up a storm lately.  Here are some of my recent reads.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
I loved her last book, Vicious, so I was pretty excited to read this one.  A very strong fantasy novel featuring the amazing Delilah Bard who really stole the show for me.  She rushed onto the scene brandishing pistols and knives and generally caused havoc in her wake.  Can't wait for book 2!

The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows
This is historical fiction at its best!  Chock full of memorable characters and a wonderful story laced with mystery, romance, and southern charm.  Willa Romeyn reminded me of two of my favourite young heroines, Bean Holladay (The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls) and Scout Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee).  Highly recommended.

Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
Beautiful writing and a captivating and heartwarming story.  I laughed, teared up, and generally had a marvellous time reading this.  Also featuring stunning illustrations.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
My first Christie and it will certainly not be my last!  The original queen of the plot twist, she managed to throw reasonable suspicion on everyone and still shock you with the outcome!  I look forward to many more adventures with Hercule Poirot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...