Saturday 2 January 2016

A New Year, New Goals

The start of the new year is always exciting for readers because there is so much possibility ahead of you.  Debut novels, series continuing or concluding, finally getting to that book you've been meaning to read forever...the world is your oyster.

The beginning of every new year starts, for me, with setting my Goodreads Reading Challenge.  This year I've set my goal to read 130 books in 2016.  My 2015 goal was 120 books which I more than succeed, reading 151 books last year.  But besides setting a numerical goal, I ask myself, what other reading goals would I like to accomplish this year?

I would like to read more non-fiction.  I said this last year and while it happened to an extent, my plan of reading one non-fiction title per month just didn't happen.  So, instead of beating myself up about it, I think this year I need to be more realistic.  Just try to read more non-fiction.  What does that mean exactly? .... I think i'll have to figure that out as the year progresses.

Last year I started reading multiple books at the same time and I found that it really worked well for me.  In my line of work, I not only need to be reading lots in all different genres, I enjoy it!  Here is my usual book lineup:

The Breakfast Book - I read this every morning over tea and toast, for any where from 30-45 mins.  I often pick YA novels since they are usually fast paced and easy to jump right into.  Last year, I read a number of Star Wars novels in this time slot which was a fun way to start the day.

The Bath Book - If I'm reading in the tub it needs to be light (both physically and mentally) and fun.  Cozy mysteries and Nora Roberts often fill this niche quite nicely.

The Bus Book / Audiobook - I skytrain to and from work every day, plus I have 30 mins for lunch.  I keep a book in my bag that I only read during these time slots.  It is something physically and mentally light and easy to read in small frames of time.  Mysteries and 9-12 novels I have found  are perfect.  I also always have an audiobook on the go which I often listen to on the train.

The 'Real' Read - The latest literary prize winner, the book that everyone is talking about, an ARC that is getting published next month, the newest novel by a favourite author...the list goes on and on.  I usually read this book in the evening when I get home from work and often right before bed.

My system worked for me last year so hopefully it will continue to do so in 2016!

What are your reading goals for 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...